Around 125 km north of Kalgoorlie is the scant remains of yet another abandoned Goldfields town. Davyhurst was founded in 1902 following the discovery of gold three years prior by prospector Davy and his crew.
The town was named by Menzies Warden Owen after Walter ‘Watty’ Davys, although it was first called Davyston before being officially gazetted as Davyhurst in 1901. The area was often better known as Mace’s Find. Born in Somerset, England in 1855, Davys had spent much of his life travelling the world in search of gold. Prior to leaving England he’d lived on a farm called Hurstone (where the second half of the Davyhurst name originates). He travelled to Davyhurst from Broad Arrow in 1899 with friends Charles Mace, Patrick Glenny and Miller Mace; well-known prospectors in the area, they headed back to Menzies in November 1899 to apply for two twenty-four acre leases, one named Waihi and the other Melrose.
The first mines at Davyhurst were Waihi and Melrose. Others include Homeward, Eileen, Golden Pole and North Pole.