The Red Hill lookout in Kambalda East is prominent feature in the mining landscape.
Just a short walk to the older electrical tower gives you fantastic views over Lake Lefroy and the many mines scattered around it. The lookout remains the closest that its possible to get to the gold and nickel mines beyond.
Lake Lefroy covers roughly 510 km2 and is one of many salt lakes that have formed in this dry environment. They are created when the water in the lake evaporates, leaving thick layers of salts and other minerals behind. The lake was named after Henry Lefroy, one of the first expedition leaders to travel out this far, initially looking for suitable farmland in 1863.
Red Hill formed the centre of some of the first gold rushes in this area, with the precious ore being found in many of its gullies. The old Red Hill mine was discovered in 1896-97 and the Red Hill Gold Syndicate Limited soon formed, acquiring 10 leases. This mine is now part of the Beta Hunt complex.
Access is free to everyone. Some sections of the track are very steep and rocky in places.