Unity Wood Mine sits near Scorrier, mostly hidden amongst the trees of Unity Wood. Originally known as Wheal Bush, this mine has been working since at least the 16th century, with tin workings dotted throughout the wood.
In 1790 the Great County Adit reached the sett, allowing for deeper lodes to be reached. While it may have started as a tin mine, in the early 18th century it also became a significant copper producer which lasted until 1843 when output ground to a halt.
The mine was reopened in 1870 for tin and the remaining engine houses were built during this period, but work only lasted for a further 10 years. Between 1880-85 it was opened as West Poldice and again as Tolgullow United from 1886 to 1903.
Magor’s (100-fathoms/183m), Blamey’s, Trefusis (100-fathoms/183m), Peter’s, Jeffery’s, Foodways/Paul’s (80-fathoms/146m), Painter’s/Henderson’s (50-fathoms/91m), Tremaine’s, Pits-an-bollar, Wood, William’s, Reed’s, Old, Tonkin’s, Oate’s, Davey’s, Broad’s/Tregullow’s, Trestrail’s, Harper’s, Sandow’s/Symon’s and Skip.
1819 – 52″ engine on Wood’s
1819 – 60″ and 58″ engines
1834 – 80″ on William’s
1872 – 70″ pumping engine on Magor’s
1872 – 20″ whim and stamps on Trefusis
60″ pumping engine on Western
20″ whim and copper crusher on William’s
Manual capstan and horse whim on Reed’s
The whole of this mine is available through permissive footpaths through Unity Wood and there’s another path to the engine houses in Todpool. While the shafts have been capped to varying degrees, some do look a bit dodgy, so definitely no clambering around.