Down a quiet country lane near the village of St Day is the only remaining engine house in the parish. This belongs to the Grambler and St Aubyn sett.
The mine itself is made up of a number of smaller ventures, including Wheal Grambler, Wheal St Aubyn and North Wheal Grambler. It’s unclear when each of these were started, although it’s likely they were Old Men’s workings.
Wheal Grambler, on the western side of the group, was at work by 1792 and closed six years later. It opened again for three years between 1805 and 1808.
The smaller mines all joined from 1834 to form St Aubyn United, although this remained a small venture. In 1861 it was only employing 40 men, 30 boys and 3 women; profits were also uncommon. The mine continued until 1893.
Several engine houses appear on the old maps, once of these is the 60 inch pumping engine house, the only building left on the mine. This was in place by 1865, though put up for sale three years later. There was also a 18 inch whim.
Powell’s (108 fathoms/197m), King’s (50 fathoms/91m), North Grambler (25 fathoms/46m), Old Engine (65 fathoms/119m), Perkin’s (54 fathoms/99m), St Aubyn, William’s (50 fathoms/91m), Davey’s (36 fathoms/66m), Simmon’s, Tregella’s (70 fathoms/128m), Mitchell’s (81 fathoms/148m) and Murray’s (12 fathoms/22m).
There is no access to this engine house, although it can be clearly seen from the lane alongside it.