Squashed between United Downs and the B3298 is a woodland area full of mine shafts belonging to Wheal Squire.
Wheal Squire was started in 1757, although this was likely a reworking of a much older mine. In 1791 it was reached by the Great County Adit. The mine was very successful during the early 1800’s. In 1818 it was employing 400 people and just the following year it had reached 72 fathoms (132m) below the County Adit, working rich copper deposits.
Shortly after, Wheal Squire was amalgamated with many of its neighbours as part of United Mines, a union that saved it during a dip in copper prices. From 1857 United Mines and Consolidated Mines were working together as Clifford Amalgamated, but by this date it was past its peak; once it closed in 1870 most of the buildings were dismantled.
Remains for the mine are scant and often mixed up with United Mines. In 1817 it had a 36″ engine, with a 63″ engine installed at some point. Remains of buddles have been found in the woods. The surrounding area is riddled with mine shafts, only some of which are named. These include Browning’s, Wheal Fire, Bickford’s, Pagan and Michell’s.
Between 1816-1853 the mine raised 20,082 tons (20,404,254 kg) of 8.5% copper, worth £148,000 (£8,941,716.00 now, roughly).
There is a public footpath that passes through the middle of Wheal Squire’s territory, but everything off the path is private property.