Perched on the top of Rosewall Hill sits the scant remains of a small venture named Wheal Racer.
Opened in 1907 to rework the western section Goole Pellas Mine, this venture possibly deepened an already present shaft. However, despite having a £10,000 (£785,695 today) capital it appeared that the shaft was sunk in the wrong place. This coupled with mis-management of the mines finances led to its quick demise. Having just reached 60 fathoms (110m) and only erecting the concrete bases for any pumping or winding gear for the main shaft, Wheal Racer went into liquidation the following year.
The mine had at least four shafts, although they may have existed before the 1907 working.
Access is free to all from the footpath around Rosewall Hill. The shafts have been walled, but are not capped, thus remaining unsafe.