On the edge of Craddock Moor a short distance from the village of Minions are the two chimneys of Craddock Moor Mine.
Following the success of neighbours South Caradon and West Caradon, Craddock Moor mine was started in 1844 by Captain Nance.Unfortunately this attempt, and the one afterwards in 1846 suffered the same fate. It wasn’t until 1854 when 22 people were employed that it really got started and an engine house was installed.
The mine quickly grew and by 1861 was employing 230 people, however this was short lived. Production started to decline just three years later and only 160 were employed. During the early 1870’s South Caradon took on 20 of the men, and while it was still producing ore it was put up for sale in 1873. With no-one coming forward to take over the mine, it closed the following year. A small amount of prospecting was done at some point between 1907 and 1916, but little came of this.
Craddock Moor mine had three engine houses in its life. The first was a 16″ engine installed in 1854 and was likely a small indoor beam rotatory engine. Next to be installed was the 24″ do-it-all engine installed on Edmund’s shaft. This pumped, wound and crushed, but little remains but its chimney and the base of the house and its loadings.
Lastly, was a 24″ pumping and winding engine erected in 1865 on Harris’ shaft. The chimney for this house has been well restored, but the house is a pile of rubble.