Carnon Mine

Carnon Stream mine sits on the bank of Restronguet Creek about a kilometer up the coast from Devoran quay. Originally opened in 1824 to mine the copious amount of tin in the creek, however this venture was very short lived as the Redruth and Chasewater Railway Company soon complained that they were obstructing boats going up and down the creek.
The engine was put up for sale in 1830.
Despite being so short lived, the mine made a profit of at least £28,000.

20171203_1629231

The engine house, with only one of its walls remaining is one of the oldest in Cornwall, built in 1824, and would have housed a 24-inch engine. This pumped shafts sunk on an artificial island via flatrods on trestles.

20171203_163053

The shafts consisted of cast iron cylinders constructed at Perran Foundry, these were forced into the mud during high tide by barges. Levels were driven off these shafts, however due to the amount of mud and gravel these required a lot of support. Another shaft was sunk on the artificial island and a 14-inch engine and horse whim erected there.

20171203_161951

Access:
The remains of the engine house sits right on the waters edge and is easily accessible from the road. It is currently owned by Feock parish.

20171203_161921

References:

Acton, B. (2000) Exploring Cornwall’s tramway trails. Vol. 2. Truro: Landfall Publications.

Gamble, B. (2011) Cornish mines : Gwennap to the Tamar. Alison Hodge.

Nance, D. and Brown, K. (2014) A complete guide to the engine houses of West Cornwall. Gloucestershire: Lightmoor Press.